Sunday, December 7, 2008

Give me some crochet, please ...

Before I left for the Czech Republic, I had bought a new book - DoubleStitch by Erika and Monika Simmons. I loved most of the designs in it: the designs are very hip and fresh, and give me a new look at crochet. Most of the designs have very simple constructions and are easy to make. Even though I like many of the designs, unfortunately, most of them are not very wearable for me - I'm not that young of a chick anymore; and most of the designs are targeted towards to a younger, more daring wearer. Regardless, I fell in love with the Gypsy Duster and I wanted to make it so bad, but I had to wait until I was done with all my knitting projects for publication. I took the book and allocated yarn with me to the Czech Republic, hoping that I will have some extra time to work on it. After the knitting marathon, I had to give myself at least a week off; and then, in the middle of the summer, I started to crochet. It was coming along rather quick; and it was nice to work for a mere pleasure for a change. And since there was no rush (not like one needs a coat in the middle of a summer!), I have finished it when I got back to the States.

When crocheting, I was worried a little about the size because it looked rather small for me at first; but then when it was finished, because of the yarn weight and nature of the stitch, the coat stretched to fit perfectly. I have omitted the ties since it was hard to get in and out of the coat while just throwing it on to go the bus stop and back; but the eyelets are there if I ever wanted to use the ties. I must say it like it both ways - with the ties or without.

Project info:
Gypsy Duster

Needle and yarn
: 6.0 mm (J)
: Lily Sugar'n Cream Confectionary
1 skeins = 710.0 yards (649.2m) of each color. Colors: 1 skein of White & 1 skein of Natural.

No comments: