Saturday, December 5, 2009

On-line Knitting & Crochet Classes

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since my last post. I've been quite busy, traveling to Europe during the summer (it was a bitter sweet visit, though) and had been working quite a bit after I got back - six new designs coming up in spring. A bit more on that in upcoming posts.

Right now I am working on setting up my own knitting and crochet workshop studio where I am going to offer knitting and crochet on-line classes. I am very excited about the prospect when I think of all the possibilities of an on-line course can offer to knitters and crocheters out here cyberspace.

Last week I started taking an on-line class (very much the same format I am going to be offering) for teachers to learn how efficiently run this kind of venture. Stefanie Japel is the teacher of that class; and she is terrific. Many of you have probably heard of her; she has published a couple of knitting books (looove them!) and she also has quite a successful on-line presence. I am also enjoying being in the classroom with other designers and teachers. We don't get much of face-to-face interaction otherwise, so this is a wonderful opportunity for us to get together.

This past few days I have been also building the on-line classroom web site. The classroom will be fully interactive with instructional videos, PDF handouts, forums and live chats, so it will have a feel of real life classroom. It will have so many advantages over a real-life classes:
  • students will have access to all the materials 24-hours a day for the duration of the class (about 3 - 4 weeks)
  • students can review materials over and over, until it's clear to them
  • students can post in forums about their progress; ask questions; interact with each other
  • students can participate in live chats with me and other students
  • students can learn in the comfort of their home, or during a lunch break
  • students can save time and money by not having to travel to a location
  • - great for knitters/crocheter who don't have access to LYS
  • - great for moms who can study the evenings or during children's nap times
  • students can produce a finished project by the end of the class!
Today I have been trying to edit my recorded test video with Windows Movie Maker that is installed on my computer. It is quite easy to use and creates professionally looking footage. I had "play" with the output format, which was not supported by my website.

I am interested what you think about this type of classes and what kind of classes you would like to take on-line. Would you be interested in beginners classes, more advanced classes, technique or project classes? I have a few class ideas, but I am still interested in what you think and what you'd like to learn. Let me know.

No comments: